Wing Shooting | Ladies Hunt Enter the Uplands
Enter the Uplands is the perfect opportunity for a new hunter or shooter to get a hands-on welcome to the world of upland hunting. Over the course of two evenings and a full day in the field, we cover topics ranging from gun safety and mounting to how to shoot over dogs and field etiquette. You will leave this experience with a deeper understanding of the uplands, what to expect in the field, and the basics of how to prepare game. The Texas Ladies Hunt Series provides the perfect opportunity to enter the uplands.
2023-24 Class Dates
October 9 – 11 | 4 Spots | Ladies Only
- A holistic introduction into the outdoors and the role hunters and anglers play in conservation
- Healthy, safe and inclusive environments
- Outdoor and firearms safety by experts
- Education on fundamental concepts related to hunting, including but not limited to animal identification, food and water sources and habitat management
- Hard skills such as cleaning, butchering and cooking wild game
- Education on how to continue to hunt and ways to get involved and be and advocate for conservation
- Mentored instruction
- Work with upland dogs
- Shotgun instruction, clays, and ammunition
- All meals are included
- 2-3 hunting opportunities over the weekend
- Education around habitat and upland hunting
- Skill development essential for hunting
- Campsites or accommodations will be provided depending on location
- Not included: taxes and gratuity
Upon arriving at Spoke Hollow Ranch you will meet the team that will help you on your first-time hunt, including staff, mentors and volunteers, as well as all the other participants on the hunt. After introductions, you will head to the shotgunning range to practice your skills shooting clay pigeons and receiving pointers and instruction. That night enjoy freshly prepared wild game, sit around the campfire and discuss hunting ethics, conservation and connect deeper with nature.
The next morning you will hit the field with your mentors and the dogs to learn the basics of moving around and walking in the field. Practice different types of scenarios you may run across while carrying unloaded guns. After lunch take the skills you have learned the past 24 hours and work alongside dogs to find coveys of birds. After a successful hunt, bring them back to camp, where you will learn how to pluck, clean and prepare birds for your own dinner table.
On the last day we will wrap up with further discussion about hunters’ critical role in conserving wild spaces and how you can participate in future opportunities.