Big Game Basics
We provide hunting opportunities for first-time or novice hunter to the basics skills needed to hunt large game in hopes that it will give participants a deeper connection with the outdoors. To do this, our program includes:
- A holistic introduction into the outdoors and the role hunters and anglers play in conservation
- Healthy, safe and inclusive environments
- Outdoor and firearms safety by experts
- Education on fundamental concepts related to hunting, including but not limited to animal identification, food and water sources and habitat management
- Hard skills such as cleaning, butchering and cooking wild game
- Education on how to continue to hunt and ways to get involved and be and advocate for conservation
FEE FOR 2 DAY, 2 NIGHT PROGRAM:
Your fee includes:
- Animal breakdown and butchering demonstration
- Food preparation, cooking, and recipes
- All meals are included
- 2-3 hunting opportunities over the weekend
- Education around the wildlife and habitat
- Skill development essential for hunting
- Campsites or accommodations will be provided depending on location. Locations will vary, but will all be within an 80-mile radius of Wimberley
This 2-day, 2-night course in big game hunting basics starts off with an introduction to conservation and the roles hunters play in protecting with the wildlife and their habitats. After we settle into camp, hunters and their mentors sight-in rifles and get comfortable working together. Everyone finishes the first night with a wild game dinner and a campfire chat and discussion.
The following day hunters and their mentors enter the field at least twice with the goal of harvesting an animal. Throughout this process mentors are imparting their knowledge, experience and advice for the novice hunter. After a successful harvest, mentors teach animal breakdown and butchering.
The remainder of the experience revolves around food demonstrations, field skills and building a better relationship with nature and the outdoors as well as building camaraderie with the others participating in the experience.